Columbus McKinnon recently launched the CM Man Guard electric chain hoist with CSA approval for the Canadian market. To explain the importance of CSA approval and discuss the features of this great hoist, we interviewed our Canadian National Sales Manager, Chris Siabanis.
What is CSA approval?
The Canadian Standards Association (CSA) is an independent third-party testing and certification organization. CSA tests products and their components, as well as audits manufacturing processes to ensure products meet or exceed the necessary codes, specifications and accredited standards for sale into the Canadian marketplace. Products must be CSA approved to be sold in Canada.
Since its launch in September 2011, the CM Man Guard has been well-received in the U.S. So, we felt that it would be an excellent addition to our Canadian product portfolio as well. That’s why we pursued CSA approval.
What are the key features of the CM Man Guard?
Known for reliable performance and best-in-class safety features, the CM Man Guard is a competitively priced hoist option and is available in capacities ranging from 1/4 to 3 tons with standard lifts up to 20 feet. It also has a lifetime guarantee.
Some key features of this hoist that are most important to customers include:
- H4 duty motors that allow the hoist to be used in high-duty-cycle environments. We are able to achieve H4 duty rating using higher quality components and do not require the aid of a fan to cool the motor, unlike competitors’ hoists.
- Efficient low-cost operation that saves you money. The Man Guard’s specially engineered motor and precision-machined gearing reduce the electrical demand required to operate the hoist. Single-phase and three-phase amp draws are, on average, 50% less than the equivalent competitors’ models. Less electrical demand per hoist can add up to big operating cost savings.
- Made in the USA and stocked in Canada ensuring availability. Manufactured in our Damascus, Virginia facility, these hoists and repair parts are readily available for delivery from our Canadian warehouses located in Cobourg, Ontario and Edmonton, Alberta.
What is ISG and what are the benefits to the customer?
Aside from all its great features, the CM Man Guard is part of our In-Stock Guarantee (ISG). Our In-Stock Guarantee (ISG) is our commitment to shipping our most popular chain, hoists and rigging products in 3 days or less. The CM Man Guard is our first electric chain hoist available through ISG, with more than 40 models in-stock and ready to ship, including 575V 2-speed units. This is a game changer for the industry.
Man Guard models available through the In-Stock Guarantee include:
- Hook mount 1/4, 1/2, 1 and 2 ton units with 10, 15 and 20 foot lifts at 16 fpm
- Hook mount 3 ton units with 10, 15 and 20 foot lifts at 5 and 10 fpm
Are there new features or changes coming soon for the CM Man Guard?
We are currently developing a lug mount for the CM Man Guard that can be used with the Universal Trolley. The UT Trolley allows you to use one trolley with a variety of CM air and electric chain hoists. It provides flexibility with inventory while reducing the need to stock trolleys for each model of CM chain and air chain hoist you use or carry, including the Man Guard.
For more information on the CSA Man Guard, visit our website.